Saturday, June 27, 2009

San Jose DREAM Act Ceremony

(the Bay Area Dream Coalition)

I had the idea last Thursday. The national DREAM Act effort was going on, ceremonies held all across the nation ,and there was nothing going on in San Jose. So i sent out some emails, asking people to join me in holding such an event here.

I was not sure anything tangible would materialize, and truth be told i figured "this is done on a whim, with less than a week, probably not going to happen."

But with the help of many including (but not limited to) dreamactivist.org and Mark Silverman and the folks at SAHE, we got this thing off the ground.

In total we had 20 students in the San Jose DREAM class of 2009. We had a turn out of about 50 people and even had some local news papers and Univision come out to support us.

I supposed that's not bad for the first event i ever organized.

I had the chance to meet up with some good folks that i had met before and to make some excellent new connections. This event was a symbol of hope for me and I thank all that participated.

Gracias

2 comments:

  1. Excellent job! Keep it up because it's people like you that keep making a difference and who will finally make the DREAM come true.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, great job! :) hey the first of many? si :)

    ReplyDelete