Thursday, April 9, 2009

Unlicensed Driving


I have been driving since I was 17. It is risky to do so since I obviously don't have a license. Yet I started to drive out of necessity, because most of the jobs I've held aren't close to where I live. That and the fact that I work in a city that's located one and a half hours way from where my parent's home is (no train to it, only ICE infested Greyhound).

I don't take this small pleasure for granted, as I know of many DREAMers who don't drive because of the risk involved. I respect their choice, because I understand that we're not all one homogeneous clump and are all entitled to our own discretion.

Through out my 10 or so years of driving I have been blessed by some force (call it what you may), and have not been involved in any accidents. I was however, pulled over by a police officer about a year ago ( i'll go into that more another time), but things could have been a lot worse I suppose.

I've noticed recently that what started out as a need, is now becoming something else.

Driving to me has started to become a way to kind of let go of my "undocumented-ness" . I tend to forget that I don't have papers while I'm driving. Yea, in a lame way, it makes me feel "normal". I guess about as normal as I can feel.

Since I've been on my own, crashing relatives and friends' houses for some time now, my car has become my "home". When I feel out of place at my aunt's, or i just cant deal with the stress of whatever is happening, I go for a drive because I get comforted just by driving aimlessly through the city night.

It's a weird dilemma. I feel comfort but at the same time I'm subconsciously aware of the danger. Checking mirrors, controlling my speed, maintaining safe distances.

I think that once I take that (dreaded by some, anticipated by me) DMV driving test, I'll pass with flying colors, and then go for a drive.

5 comments:

  1. Very true. I didn't realize how I feel normal when I drive and I'm even more fortunate to have a DL, unlike most dreamers. Of course, soon you'll have to take the test once DREAM becomes a reality and we go on our road trip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. people trip out on me not driving. Course living in L.A. there's no need for me to drive anywhere thanks to the bus. For me more than anything, it's a money thing. I don't want to have the financial burden of a car. I like having freedom from that. Course like you wrote, it's a need for you. I find the same freedom on my skateboard and while walking my dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's funny. I feel quite the opposite. like oh crap i can't do anything wrong because i don't have a license. it's a constant reminder you can't afford to mess up. of course i've already had a brush with the consequences. maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still not brave enough to drive. And like ERH said, I don't really have a need to drive (not yet anyway). Although, being a 5'2" female (ands one seriously lacking any muscle), walking home from the bus stop after a night out isn't really an option for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post! I have been driving since i was 16 and have been pulled over once. i lucked out and the cop let me go, but i do remember how humiliated i felt to have to convince the cop that i had driven that morning because i had no ride to work and i couldn't miss. i remember the anger and frustration i felt after he let me go and i got to work. it sucks that we have to always live on edge...hoping that at the end of the day we will return home the way we left it.

    ReplyDelete