Thursday, January 22, 2009

On President Obama

I drank the kool aid. I drank it early on and then wanted more. Last year's election was of monumental importance to me, because it was a gauge on the possibility of a new approach to immigration. So I started researching the candidates early on, like 2007 early. I scoured through articles and books, and became addicted to NPR and CNN coverage.

So when I read Obama's "Dreams from my Father" it was done in a completely neutral and analytical way. But I was blown away. Mainly because the book was written some time before the man had begun his political career, and because of the honesty that seeped through the pages. That's when I found the kool aid.

As the primaries progressed, I became more grounded; Obama did some things that took some of his angelical glitter away (like starting to wear the flag pin, or voting for the FISA bill or disowning Rev. Wright). And so the kool aid became Bitter sweet.

But I strongly believe that he was the best choice for the situation at hand.

On Tuesday when he became President of the United States my faith in this country was reaffirmed, which was a crucial thing for me since the last 8 bush (not capitalized) years have left me doubting a lot of things. Best of all after hearing his speech I am once again hopeful of the future.

The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.
- President Barack Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment