Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Telling Lance

I have known Lance since I was 16. We had pre-calculus together, hung out during lunch and passed several Saturday schools (due to tardies) together. I consider him one of my closest friends.
Yet I had never told him my status. It always made me uncomfortable, having to avoid the reasons why i kept postponing that awesome trip to Mexico we both wanted to take (Lance lived in Uruguay for 2 years, and probably speaks better Spanish than me), or having to embellish on my shitty job situation.

Last night via Facebook (of all places) I linked Lance to the intro of this blog. His reaction below:

9:56pmLance

That is very powerful!

i had no idea that you were undocumented or not technically a citizen

9:57pmGabriel:p

me neither really

not until 16

but its been a secret too long

and since i am tired of hiding it

i wrote about it

and have started to tell my closest friends

9:58pmLance

That really blows my mind

is there any recourse to becoming a citizen now...

or are you screwed if you turn to the government?

9:59pmGabriel

no path way but marrige

and i wont do a fake one

or this legislation

DREAM Act

which is what i advocate for

10:00pmLance

i am going to look it up

10:00pmLance

I can't imagine the idea of you not be allowed to become a citizen

10:00pmGabriel

en verdad

10:01pmLance

you are as much of an american to me as anyone else i know...

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I haven't told many of my friends too.

    ReplyDelete